Welcome to the Latin Web Page
We offer Latin to all First Year Students entering Dominican College. This is conditional on a sufficient number of students opting for Latin to allow us to form a class. Latin is not offered in any other Girls Secondary School on the north side of the city.
All students taking Latin will continue to completion of the Junior Certificate course at the end of Third Year.
Leaving Certificate Latin is also offered at Dominican College. This, of course is conditional on a sufficient number of students opting for this subject.
WHY SHOULD YOUR DAUGHTER STUDY LATIN?
Perhaps you might like to consider the following points when coming to a decision on your daughter's options:
- The Junior Certificate Course provides the foundation for learning the Latin language, the parent of French, Spanish, Italian, and other Romance languages . The study of Latin enhances the student's understanding of other languages, including English.
- Learning how people communicate with each other is a very important part of one's education, but Latin involves far more than grammar and vocabulary. Students of Latin will explore Roman myth and legend, learn how English words come into being and what they mean, visit the world as it was centuries ago and master the fundamentals of the Latin language.
- Special attention is given to the daily life and society of the Romans and the influences they exert on many aspects of our culture e.g. Architecture, Art, Literature, Philosophy and Politics.
- The Leaving Certificate Course builds on the work already done. Specialised grammatical points are studied, together with major selections from Latin literature. Roman History and Civilisation will be studied in greater depth.
- In general Latin is a first class exercise for the mind. It encourages a logical, analytical approach in the student.