Careers advice and information
All girls Voluntary Secondary Catholic Schoolof approximately 700 pupils, with a broad spectrum of needs and aspirations.
The role of the Guidance Counsellor is to provide for, and support, the Personal, Social, Educational and Vocational development of the student.
Guidance is a range of processes designed to enable individuals to make informed choices and transitions related to their personal, education and career development.
Counselling may be defined as the skilled and principled use of relationship to facilitate self -knowledge, emotional acceptance, growth and the optimal development of personal resources. The overall aim is to provide an opportunity to work towards living more satisfyingly and resourcefully.
The Guidance Counsellor assists students with their personal, social, educational and career choices by providing counselling, support, assessment, information , referrals and classroom guidance activities. Click Here For The Full Document
UCD Science Careers and Open Evening:
01/11/2011. Click on the link below for further information
|An Bord Altanrais: The Irish Nursing Board||http://www.nursingboard.ie|
|Central Applications Office (CAO)||http://www.cao.ie|
|CERT - The State Tourism Trading Agency||http://www.cert.ie|
|Irish Defence Forces||http://www.military.ie|
|National Adult Literacy Agency||http://www.nala.ie|
|National Centre for Technology in Education||http://www.ncte.ie|
|National Council for Vocational Awards||http://www.ncva.ie|
|CAO On-line Application System||http://www.cao.ie|
|Irish Jobs Page||http://www.exp.ie|
|Careers Research and Advisory Centre||http://www.crac.org.uk|
|European Employment Services (EURES)||http://europa.eu.int/jobs/eures|
|National Association of Careers and Guidance
|UCAS - UK College Applications||http://www.ucas.ac.uk|
|British University Information||http://www.universitiesuk.ac.uk/|
|Career Resource Centre||http://www.careers.org|
|Ecctis - UK Course Discover||http://www.ecctis.co.uk|
|Guideline Career Services||http://www.guideline-careers.co.uk|
|My Future - US Online Career Advice site||http://www.myfuture.com|
|US Careers Resource Centre||http://www.uscareers.com|
The list of new links on the site.
- Bardic Database – The Bardic Poetry Project in TCD
- Careers using the Irish language – Career options using Irish
- Chemical Database – ChemSpider is a free chemical structure database providing fast text and structure search access to over 28 million structures
- Chemistry – This site is compulsive reading even for non scientists.
- Chemistry – Discover Chemistry careers posters
- Chemistry Crosswords – A fun way to learn Chemistry
- College Board – USA College and course selection site
- College Board USA – The place for search for courses in America
- Courses listing in Irish – Interest profiler with and career and course matching (CAO and PLC)
- Courses on Irish – List of Courses in TCD
- Drink Aware – The leading information portal on alcohol and drinking for consumers in Ireland
- Education in Germany – Basic information on the structure of the German education system and on how it works.
- Educational Games – We strive to push the envelope of traditional game design while demonstrating the power of games to lead to new ways of thinking.
- EUNICAS – EUNiCAS is the European Universities Central Application Support Service.
- Europass – Opening doors to learning and working in Europe
- Exemption from Irish or Third Language – NUI Application form for exemption – PDF
- Genetics for everyone – A fun introduction to the basics of Genetics
- Guide to UCAS – This is a must read for anyone thinking of applying to UCAS
- Ipad Quick Reference Card – All you need to know to get your iPad working – PDF
- Irish and Celtic Studies TCD – Introduction to the Department
- Irish Grammar – Learn Irish grammar
- Irish Language Jobs – Gaelport.com offers a comprehensive database of Irish language jobs and career opportunities
- Irish Studies – An Interdisciplinary Course in Irish Civilisation in TCD
- Irish Studies, Celtic Studies, Folklore and Linguistics – Irish department in UCD
- Languages Tutor Site – An online workbook for your Spanish, French, German, Italian, Portuguese or Latin language students.
- Learning Chemistry – Resources for those teaching or learning Chemistry
- Music Generation – Music Generation is Ireland’s new National Music Education Programme
- Music Tuition Site – Offers fun, interactive music lessons for music/instrument learners of all ages
- Music videos in Irish – Music Videos by Colaiste Lurgan
- Nano technology – The impact of this science area in our economy – PDF
- Online Language Games – Have fun playing while learning languages with Languagegames.org online games!
- Study in Australia or New Zealand – Free, independent, expert service for people looking to study in Australia and New Zealand.
- Study in Sweden – This is a comprehensive resource for information about higher education in Sweden.
- Study in the UK – For anyone living in Ireland and thinking of doing a third-level course in Northern Ireland or elsewhere in the United Kingdom
- Studying Commerce in Irish – Video in Irish
- Studying Irish – Video in studying Irish in NUIG
- Studying Irish – List of CAO courses on Irish in Qualifax
- Why Study Down Under – Why go all the way to Australia or New Zealand to study at university ? Here are a few things to consider
Parents, Guardians, Students and Staff:
Please find below, new and comprehensive guidance and career links plus information for parents, teachers and all (first to sixth year) students . It is envisaged that these will be updated regularly to provide an invaluable research tool for everyone.
Topics include aptitude tests, study skills, subject choice, college/course career choice, CAO, UCAS, PLC, bullying, transition to second level/third level and many more topics of interest. Some of this information has been compiled by students themselves.
Please note that Dominican College does not accept any responsibilty for any misinformation/inaccuracies that may aoccur on the sites/links.
All Sixth Year parents and daughters applying to UCD please note an information session on CAO and choosing a course at UCD will be held on 12th January 2013. Check UCD website for further details.
Also check CAO website for any new recently introduced course.
Thank you and Happy Christmas and Happy New Year to everyone from the guidance dept.
Eva Hempenstall (Guidance Counsellor)