Dominican College Past Pupils
As part of the Dominican College 125 Celebrations the school is trying to reach out and make contact with as many past pupils as possible. On Sunday May 11th 2008 the school hosted a 'Back to School Day' for past pupils from both the Eccles Street and Griffith Avenue traditions. The Eccles Street tradition is well served by the existing Past Pupils Union. Therefore the 125 celebrations are being used as an obvious opportunity to link up again with those who attended the school in Griffith Avenue.
On that day a special Mass took place at 2.00pm in Marino Church with readings, music and singing being provided by past students. After the Mass past pupils were invited back to the school on Griffith Avenue to meet up with old school mates, former teachers and staff. Past students were be able to visit the old and new facilities in the school. Newer developments include the major extension opened in 2003 and the new Home Economics kitchens completed just last summer.
Following on from this day it is the school's intention to foster and develop better relations and communications with its past pupils. Simple ideas like an on-line newsletter updating past pupils on developments and news from the school will be put in place. We also hope to develop the past pupils section of our website. We also hope to provide past pupils with ways to play more active roles in the life of school. Please feel free to email us your ideas too.
We are also in the early stages of planning for a gala event to conclude the 125celebrations - watch this website for more details.
RTE RADIO ONE Bowman Sunday Morning April 27th: features famous Dominican Past Pupil Margaret Burke Sheridan
John Bowman will be presenting three programmes on our distinguished past pupil and famous opera singer, Margaret Burke Sheridan at 8.10 am starting this Sunday April 27th. The programme will include rare recordings that have previously been unreleased.
La Sheridan, as she became known to enthusiastic opera fans throughout Europe, was born Margaret Burke Sheridan in the town of
For Your Diary
National Concert Hall
A Tribute to Margaret Burke Sheridan
14 May 2008 08:00 PM - John Field Room
Celine Byrne & Suzanne Murphy, sopranos
Bill Golding, compere ▪ Anne Chambers, author
A journey through time
On the 10th of January 1882, two weeks after the arrival of the sisters, Dominican College opened in 18/19 Eccles Street with a small number of pupils. Both houses were fine examples of Georgian architecture. House number 18, was reorganised as a new school while house number 19 became the convent.
The latter part of the nineteenth century was particularly important for the education of young women in Ireland. The Irish Intermediate Act, passed in 1879, enabled the setting up of a system of secondary education for both girls and boys, while the establishment of the Royal Colleges encouraged women to pursue higher education.
The Dominican Sisters, with their enlightened approach to the education of young women, prepared the pupils for the Intermediate Board Examination. High standards were achieved. Numbers increased so rapidly that very soon the original accommodation became inadequate. New buildings were added, and as the years went by, adjacent houses were bought and adapted for school use. The foundation stone of the new block was blessed and laid on May 31st 1888. Another stone, of white marble, blessed by Pope Leo XIII was brought to Ireland and set inside the building. This stone can still be seen today in Dominican College, Griffith Avenue.
As the secondary school developed and flourished, a university education for women emerged in Eccles Street. Women-students, prepared by the Dominican Sisters, presented themselves for the Degree examinations of the Royal University. Eccles Street became a true university centre. St. Mary's University Centre, already under the auspices of the Dominican Nuns, transferred to Eccles Street in 1902.
A Training College for secondary teacher training for women was established in 1908. It became known as St Dominic's Training College. It fulfilled its duty until Diploma Courses in Education were begun in University College Dublin in 1911.
A Junior Boys' School, known as St. Thomas' Academy, was opened in 1898. It continued to flourish until 1965, when it was closed down to create much needed extra accommodation for the secondary school. A new junior school for both girls and boys was opened in 1965.
In 1928 Scoil Chaitríona opened and prospered. Again increasing needs for more space resulted in the transfer of Scoil Chaitríona in 1972, to new school buildings at Mobhí Road, Glasnevin.
A residential Commercial College was set up in 1931 to cater for women pursuing careers in business. It remained opened until 1978 when again, the Secondary school needed further space.
From 1882, the diverse educational pursuits of Dominican College, Eccles Street, educated young women in preparation for their role in a rapidly changing society. Dominican College always responded to the significant changes taking place in Irish society. Almost one hundred years later in 1983, Dominican College had almost 800 pupils on roll, and more on the waiting lists - attracted by the ethos and academic success of the College.
Then a new chapter was opened when the Mater Hospital wished to acquire the entire block of buildings in Eccles Street to provide for its expansion. After some months of negotiation it was decided to transfer the school to a new site in the grounds of All Hallows College, Drumcondra.
In September 1984, staff and pupils moved to their new modern school, catering for almost 650 pupils. Today, Dominican College, Griffith Avenue is a flourishing and successful secondary school, carrying on the Dominican ethos in pleasant landscaped surroundings. It continues the tradition begun over one hundred and twenty years ago.
Dominican College is concerned with the development of the whole person, and through its educational activities strives to encourage student self-confidence, self-esteem and self-understanding as they experience the essence of Dominican education in a modern world. New programmes have been added over the last eighteen years in order that students experience a balanced curriculum that caters for their individual needs. Veritas, the school motto, infuses all aspects of Dominican College school life.
Dominican College has entered the 21st century, assured in its confidence that it will carry on and develop the traditions of Eccles Street and Griffith Avenue by providing a Christian education for those who attend it.
Secondary School for Girls
A message from the Principal
Céad Míle Fáilte to all our readers, whether parent, student, teacher, past student or someone interested to find out about our fine College.
The College opened on December 28th, 1882 in 19 Eccles Street and welcomed its first students two weeks later in January 1883. For 102 years it flourished there and was Alma Mater to both boarders and day students alike. On August 8th, 1984 it moved to the present location and so it enjoys the advantage of being new, yet having a long and glorious tradition. We have recently undergone some reconstruction and extended the building to cater for the needs of the constant stream of students who demand entry each year.
The Trustees of the College are the Irish Dominican Sisters who in common with all other Dominican schools seek to create a school community permeated with the Gospel Spirit of Freedom and Love in a constant search for Truth. This gives rise to a College where a wide curriculum is pursued with a serious emphasis on Religion and the holistic development of the student. Although English is the medium of teaching, Irish and Irish culture are given great emphasis. Discipline is taken seriously - not a harsh discipline, but one where each student gradually learns to take responsibility for her own learning and life.
The Board of Management takes responsibility for the running of the College. This Board consists of parents, teachers and representatives of the Trustees.
The overall day to day management lies in the hands of the Principal who is very ably supported by all members of the well trained and dedicated Staff. The Staff consists of teaching and non-teaching members who together provide excellent facilities, expert teaching and pastoral care for each student.
As you browse through the pages of this website you will see the very many facets of this College from the initiation of New Entrants, through the exciting days of movement through the school from First Year to Sixth Year and, for many, the very challenging Transition Year. You will also see the successes of the past students whose very success is based on the tradition of teaching and pastoral care which carefully emphasises the development of personal thinking, formation of well founded opinions, hard work and personal responsibility all set in the Christian mode.
Many thanks to each and every member of the staff, students and past students who have contributed to this website.
Ms Claire Butler
Choose a specific topic from the list below to read more:
Our School Policies
The following is a list of policies currently being updated: 20th August, 2010
- 1. Safety Policy
- 2. Environmental Policy